Household Hazardous Waste Program
Please read the information on this page and then access the household hazardous waste registration form.
Madison County Household Hazardous Waste Program
Although many people don’t realize it, hazardous chemicals are present in most homes. Household hazardous waste is any material discarded from the home that may pose a threat to human health and the environment if discarded improperly.
In an effort to reduce environmental contamination and potential health problems for our community, Madison County, in cooperation with Environmental Products and Services, Inc. is conducting an expanded Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program.
The disposal site for this program is located in Syracuse, NY-just a few blocks from the Destiny USA on State Fair Boulevard
Appointments will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis and there is no charge for this service, within the limits .
There is, however, a limit of 20 liquid gallons and 30 solid pounds of waste per household. There is a charge for overages.
Prohibited Wastes Will Not Be Accepted
- Wastes generated by commercial or industrial sources.
- Substances not in their original containers.
- Substances apparently consolidated with or contaminated by other material.
There are some materials that are not accepted at the household hazardous waste facility. These are:
- Controlled Substances (Drugs)
- Radioactive Waste
- Pharmaceutical Waste
- Propane Tanks (or Any Pressurized Tanks)
- Mercury Thermostats (Buyea Road Transfer Station ONLY, ask Attendant for instructions)
- Latex Paint is NOT considered a household hazardous waste. To properly dispose of latex (water-based) paint, throw away the lid and dry out the left-over paint. Add an absorbent like kitty litter and allow mixture to air dry until hard. Once dry, throw the can in the garbage.
Please don’t bring empty paint cans to the collection facility. They are garbage. First, remove the lids from the empty cans and make sure the paint is hardened.