Death of a Permit Holder
DEALING WITH HANDGUNS FROM THE ESTATE OF THE DECEASED
Executor/Administrator: Handguns that are registered to the Madison County pistol permit of the deceased, without a co-registrant, must be surrendered to a licensed New York State Gun Dealer or to a Law Enforcement Agency. They may then be lawfully disposed of or obtained from the estate of the deceased by a person who possesses a valid New York State pistol permit.
****Please contact the Madison County Pistol Permit Office
prior to surrender and we will help guide you through this process****
- The pistol permit of the deceased must be surrendered to the Pistol Permit Office of the County where the permit was issued.
- Any handguns registered to the pistol permit of the deceased that are unaccounted for must be reported to a Law Enforcement Agency.
- Any handguns found that are not registered to the pistol permit of the deceased must be reported to a Law Enforcement Agency.
- Either Letters Testamentary, Letter of Administration, or a Certificate of Voluntary Administration must be obtained from Surrogate’s Court of the County where the deceased resided.
- Madison County Surrogates Court: 315-231-5321.
Purchaser: when purchasing or obtaining a handgun from the estate of the deceased, you must be provided the following from the Executor/Administrator of the estate:
- Copy of the death certificate
- Either Letters Testamentary, Letter of Administration, or a Certificate of Voluntary Administration.
- Completed form “Transferring of Handguns from a Deceased Pistol Permit Holder”, which is available by clicking the link here, on our main forms page, or in our office.
- A receipt from the licensed New York State Gun Dealer if the handguns had been surrendered to a gun dealer.
- To register the handguns bring the above mentioned items to the Madison County Pistol Permit Office, along with your valid Madison County pistol permit.
- You cannot take possession of the handguns until they are registered to your pistol permit.
Any questions may be directed to the Madison County Pistol Permit Office
315-366-2406 or 315-366-2426