- Departments M-Z
- Solid Waste
- Programs & Services
- Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste
The Madison County Department of Solid Waste funds a FREE household hazardous waste program for its residents (business waste not accepted). Madison County residents can bring their waste to Miller Environmental Group in Syracuse, NY--just a few blocks from the Destiny USA on State Fair Boulevard.
Please read the information on this page and then fill out the household hazardous waste registration form to schedule an appointment. Appointments Required. Please allow 2-3 business days to process your request. There is a limit of 1 visit per household per year.
What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
HHW is any household material that may pose a threat to human health and/or the environment if discarded improperly. Examples include bleaches, cleaning solvents, pesticides, pool chemicals and more!
How do I get rid of HHW?
If you would like to set up an HHW appointment, please fill out the form and enter your preferred date/time. Miller Environmental Group, Inc. is open Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 3 PM. If possible, Monday, Thursday & Friday drop-off appointments are preferred by the HHW facility but we will work to accommodate any weekday requests. Appointments will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Next-day appointments will not be allowed. We require a minimum of 48 hours (2 full business days) to notify the facility and confirm the appointment. Once confirmed, you will receive an email with your confirmed appointment date/time and directions to the facility.
How much can I bring?
Residents can bring up to 20 liquid gallons AND 30 solid pounds of accepted household hazardous waste for free. There is a limit of one visit per household per year. Please note that the amount is determined by the container or bag size, NOT the amount remaining in the container or bag. For example, a gallon of bleach that only has 1/2 gallon left would be counted as 1 full gallon of material. There is a charge for overages.
What should I do with leftover latex and oil-based paints?
- Mercury Thermostats can be brought to the Buyea Road Residential Station. Give to an attendant for mercury thermostat collection.
- Fluorescent bulbs can be brought to any of the 4 transfer stations when open. See attendant for fluorescent bulb collection.
- Please do not bring empty paint cans to the collection facility. They are garbage.