Household Hazardous Waste
SPECIAL PROGRAMS COVID-19 UPDATE:
Effective immediately, the collection of electronic waste and household hazardous waste will be temporarily suspended until further notice in order to protect the health and safety of our partner organizations and residents. Please do not throw these materials into the garbage. Hold onto them for now and we will let our residents know when these programs have resumed. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Please read the information on this page and then access the household hazardous waste registration form.
The Madison County Department of Solid Waste funds a FREE household hazardous waste program for its residents (business waste not accepted). Household hazardous waste is any household material that may pose a threat to human health and/or the environment if discarded improperly. Madison County residents can bring their waste to Environmental Products and Services in Syracuse, NY--just a few blocks from the Destiny USA on State Fair Boulevard.
Residents can bring up to 20 liquid gallons AND 30 solid pounds of accepted household hazardous waste. There is a limit of one visit per household per year. There is a charge for overages.
Appointments will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Wastes generated by commercial or industrial sources.
- Substances not in their original containers.
- Substances apparently consolidated with or contaminated by other material.
- Controlled Substances (Drugs)
- Radioactive Waste
- Pharmaceutical Waste
- Propane Tanks (or Any Pressurized Tanks)
- Mercury Thermostats
- Latex Paint is NOT considered a household hazardous waste.
- To properly dispose of latex (water-based) paint, throw away the lid and dry out the left-over paint. Add an absorbent like kitty litter and allow mixture to air dry until hard. Once dry, throw the can in the garbage.
- Please don’t bring empty paint cans to the collection facility. They are garbage.
- First, remove the lids from the empty cans and make sure the paint is hardened.