Household Hazardous Waste
***IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, we are temporarily suspending our household hazardous waste program. The health and safety of our residents and employees is our priority. Please hold onto your HHW in the meantime and we will notify residents of any changes. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.***
Please read the information on this page and then access the household hazardous waste registration form.
The Madison County Department of Solid Waste funds a FREE household hazardous waste program for its residents (business waste not accepted). Household hazardous waste is any household material that may pose a threat to human health and/or the environment if discarded improperly. Madison County residents can bring their waste to Environmental Products and Services in Syracuse, NY--just a few blocks from the Destiny USA on State Fair Boulevard.
There is a limit of 20 liquid gallons and 30 solid pounds of accepted household hazardous waste per household. There is a charge for overages.
Appointments will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis and there is no charge for this service, within the limits .
- Wastes generated by commercial or industrial sources.
- Substances not in their original containers.
- Substances apparently consolidated with or contaminated by other material.
- Controlled Substances (Drugs)
- Radioactive Waste
- Pharmaceutical Waste
- Propane Tanks (or Any Pressurized Tanks)
- Mercury Thermostats
- Latex Paint is NOT considered a household hazardous waste.
- To properly dispose of latex (water-based) paint, throw away the lid and dry out the left-over paint. Add an absorbent like kitty litter and allow mixture to air dry until hard. Once dry, throw the can in the garbage.
- Please don’t bring empty paint cans to the collection facility. They are garbage.
- First, remove the lids from the empty cans and make sure the paint is hardened.