Cash Assistance

Temporary Assistance is a financial assistance program that offers temporary help to individuals and families on a short-termed basis until the household is able to achieve self-sufficiency. The programs are Family Assistance for families with minor children and Safety Net Assistance for individuals, childless couples, and households who have met their 60-month time limit.

Family Assistance (FA)

Family Assistance (FA) provides cash assistance to eligible families in need that have minor children living with a parent or caretaker. It operates under the TANF guidelines with time limits of five years.

Safety Net Assistance (SN)

Safety Net Assistance (SN) provides cash assistance to individuals, couples, and families not eligible for FA due to time limits. Cash benefits are limited to two-year time limits. After two years, non-cash assistance vouchers are issued.

Emergency Assistance to Families (EAF)

Emergency Assistance to Families (EAF) and Emergency Safety Net Assistance (ESNA) provide assistance to families with crisis situations that are threatening the family such as:

  • Diversion payments to sustain the household from applying for ongoing assistance
  • Evictions
  • Utility shut-offs

Emergency Adult Assistance (EAA)

Emergency Adult Assistance (EAA) provides emergency assistance to individuals on SSI with emergencies beyond their control, such as emergency housing, catastrophes such as fires and floods, and replacement of SSI checks if verified loss due to theft.

Additional Information

For more information, see the Temporary Assistance Fact Sheet (PDF) or call us at 315-366-2211.

Legal Notice