To help prevent E coli infections, Madison County Health Department recommends:
- Thoroughly cooking ground beef and drinking pasteurized milk.
- Wash fruits and vegetables under running water, especially those that will not be cooked. Remove the outer leaves of leafy vegetables.
- Lake or pool water should not be swallowed while swimming.
- Drink municipal water treated with chlorine or another proven disinfectant.
- Avoid spreading bacteria in the kitchen by separating raw meat from ready-to-eat foods and by washing hands, all utensils and counters after coming in contact with raw meat.
- Always wash your hands after using the bathroom and before preparing food.
For more information about reducing your risk of foodborne illness, visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service website.