Back to School
Once again, summer is almost over and as we prepare for a new school year please keep in mind some of these safety tips.
When school is opening in the morning and closing in the afternoon, the area around the school is a very busy and crowded. There will be many children using the crosswalk. Car drivers, bikers and inline skaters must stop to allow people in the crosswalk to cross the street.
Remember that if you are approaching a school bus from either the front or behind, and its yellow lights are flashing, the bus is preparing to stop.
If the bus’ red lights are flashing, you must stop. It's the law!
This includes school buses that are:
- In parking lots
- On multiple lane roadways
- On the opposite sides of divided highways
- On school grounds
Note: The only exception to this law is if the bus driver or a police officer signals that you may pass the bus.
The first-time for illegally passing a school bus is a $250-400 fine, 5 points on your license and/or possibly 30 days in jail.
Worse yet, the memory of hitting or killing a child may be one you carry for the rest of your life!
Tips for Kids
Parents please help to remind and reinforce with your little ones the following:
- It is important to look carefully to the left, right and left again if you have to cross the street.
- If you must walk through parked traffic, stop and look carefully before stepping out from between vehicles.
- Remember the danger areas around school buses where the driver can't see you.
- Don't run across the street or through a parking lot trying to catch up with your friends.
- When you are waiting for the school bus, you should wait at the bus stop, and stand well back from the curb.
- When you get off the bus:
- Look to the rear of the bus before you step off the bottom step.
- Make sure you have eye contact with the driver, and wait for the driver to signal you before you cross in front of the bus.
- Never go back for anything you have left on the bus.
- Never bend down near or under the bus.
With motorists being the second leading cause of student transport fatalities, hopefully the safety tips will ensure that we all have a safe school year.