- County Offices
- Sheriff's Office
- News Room
- Safety Tips
- Holiday Shopping
The Holiday Season can be a time to celebrate with family and friends. The Holiday Season can also be a time when crime is more prevalent. The following are some Holiday Shopping Safety Tips to help you become more prepared and aware and ensure your holiday is a joyous one.
- Remember to leave a light on at home when you are away. See our website for tips on preventing Burglaries and Larcenies.
- Have your keys out and ready before you walk to your car or your front door. Then lock the doors after entering your vehicle or home.
- If you carry a purse, keep it in front of you and close to your body. Never leave your purse unattended on a store counter or in a shopping cart. Try placing your wallet inside a front pocket instead of a rear pocket. Pickpockets seek out these easy targets.
- Remember the saying “There is safety in numbers,” try shopping with friends and family.
- Bring only the credit cards you intend to use. Leave large amounts of cash and extra credit cards at home. Keep a record of credit card numbers and phone numbers at home. Report to the credit card company immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- When choosing a parking spot look for one that is close to the entrance and well-lighted. Store all packages in your trunk, out of sight. After placing packages into your car, move to a new spot in the lot before returning to shop. Thieves will watch and search for shoppers who drop off their packages and then continue shopping.
- Be alert in crowded areas; such as malls, stores, elevators or bus and train stations. Places with large crowds are favorites for thieves and pickpockets. Pay attention to people who are walking in front and behind you.
- Keep an eye on young children. Teach them what to do in the event you become separated. The best option is to look for a security or police officer or a customer service desk where people are trained to help.
- Trust your instincts, if you feel uncomfortable in a place or a situation, leave.