Regulation and Parking and Use of House Trailers
LOCAL LAW No.1 of the year 1988
A local law amending section 2(c)(1) of Local Law #1, 1974, providing for the regulation and parking and use of house trailers and the establishment of house trailer parks within the Town of Smithfield. Be it enacted by the Town Board of ,the Town of Smithfield, Madison County, New York is as follows:
SECTION 1 - DEFINITIONS
Whenever used in this Local law, unless expressly stated or unless a different meaning appears from the context, the term:
(a) "House Trailer" shall mean any portable structure or vehicle capable of being propelled or towed on a public highway, and so constructed as to permit occupancy thereof for dwelling or sleeping purposes, or the conduct of any ,business, trade, profession or occupation,.
(b) "House Trailer Park" shall mean any site, lot, field, or tract of ground upon which two or more’ house trailers are parked" or which is offered to the public for the location of parking of two or more house trailers, to be occupied for dwelling or sleeping purposes or for ’the conduct of any business, profession, occupation or trade.
(c) "Person" shall be construed to include natural persons or partnerships, firms, companies or corporations, whether tenants, owners, lessees, agents or assigns.
SECTION 2 - CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY TO PARK OUTSIDE HOUSE TRAILER PARK
(a) It shall be unlawful, within the limits of the Town of Smithfield, to park or place any house trailer outside of a licensed house trailer park and to use the same for more than forty-eight ’hours,either for occupancy or living quarters, or for the conduct of any business, profession, occupation or trade, without first having obtained a certificate of occupancy from the Smithfield Town Clerk.
(b) A certificate’of occupancy shall be issued by the Smithfield Town Clerk upon payment of a fee of $50.00, and further only after inspection of the house trailer for which such certificate of occupancy is sought, by the Town Board or such person as may be appointed as inspector by such board, and the certification by such Town Board or inspector to the Town Clerk that said house trailer was found to be in ’conformance with the requirements of this Local Law.
(c) No certificate of occupancy shall be issued.unless the applicant therefor has complied with the following requirements:·
(1) No house trailer shall be parked closer to any street than other buildings or structures adjacent or nearby to such house trailer.
(2) No house trailer shall be parked closer than 25 feet from any property line.
(3) All drains from toilets, lavatories, showers and sinks shall be connected to a sewer line emptying into a septic tank and draining into an adequate seepage field which septic tank and seepage’field must be inspected before covering.
(4) Each house trailer shall be located on a lot or plot of ground having dimensions of at least 200 feet in width fronting on a public highway and 150 feet in depth. (5) Each house trailer must be provided with a connection to a private or or public water system providing a steady flow of clear and pure water safe to drink after being tested by approved standards. (6) All garbage or refuse kept on premises on which a house trailer is parked shall be kept in covered containers and maintained in,a sanitary method. (7) No house trailer shall be placed or parked without skirting on all sides.
SECTION 3 - LICENSE TO OPERATE HOUSE TRAILER PARK
(a) It shall be unlawful, within the limits of the Town of Smithfield, to permit two or more house trailers to park or be located on property not owned by an occupant of the trailer, either for tve purposes of occupying same for living quarters, or for the conduct of any business, profession, occupation or trade, without first having obtained a house trailer park license from the Town Clerk.
(b) Such house trailer park license shall be issued by the Town Clerk upon the payment of $50.00, and further, only after inspection of the premises by the Town Board or by a person appointed by such Board as inspector, and certification by such Town Board or inspector to the Town Clerk that said house trailer park location was found to be in conformance with the requirements of this Local Law.
(c) No house trailer park license shall be issued unless the applicant therefor has complied with the following requirements:
1. The applicant shall submit a scale drawing of his proposed house trailer park, which plan shall show in detail the exact location of said house trailer park, the number of units for which said park shall be licensed, the distance between the trailers, the location of roadways, recreational facilities, and the proposed plan for water supply and sewage’disposal facilities and electrical power.
2. No house trailer park shall be located except in a well drained site suitable for such purposes, and having adequate room for the number of house trailers authorized with said license.
3. No house trailer shall be placed in a house trailer park closer to the street than any other building adjacent or nearby thereto.
4. No house trailer shall be placed or parked closer than 50 feet from any permanent structure or closer than 25 feet from any property line.
5. No house trailer shall be placed in a house trailer park closer than 50 feet from an adjoining trailer or structure attached thereto.
6. No drains from toilets, lavatories, showers or sinks shall be permitted"to into of the ground or into any’ditch , but must be connected to a sewer line emptying into a septic tank and draining into an adequate seepage field, or such house trailers must be equipped with other approved sanitary systems.
7. All house trailers located within a house trailer park shall be provided with a connection to a private or public water system providing a steady flow of clear and pure water, found safe to drink after being tested by approved standards.
8. All house trailer parks shall be adequately equipped with sanitary covered receptacles for all garbage and refuse and covered incinerators shall be furnished for the use of the occupants. No uncovered refuse or other unsanitary conditions shall be permitted in any house trailer park.
9. No house trailer park license shall be issued unless the applicant has filed with the Town Clerk a certificate from the State Health Department that the proposed house trailer park has been inspected by representatives of the state Health Department, and has been approved and found to be in compliance with the’State Sanitary Code.
(d) The owner of all licensed trailer parks shall keep a registry of all occupants which shall include the name, address, and trailer license number of such occupants, the make of the house trailer and the number of persons occupying same, which registry shall be available for inspection.